Pages

Friday, August 17, 2012

Artistic Expression

If anyone has been following my blog lately, you will have noticed I have had several different logos on there. Probably most folks have come and gone, and haven't seen them all, but being a former graphic designer who knows how important brands are, I am very self conscious about it. I really shouldn't be designing on the fly and publishing each iteration I fall in love with. But that's what I've been doing, and I'm no closer to a final design than I was a few months ago.

As an artist, I've been creating with paints and pastels professionally for about 15 years...I have a recognizable style, which sometimes I love, and sometimes I want to be different, but for better or for worse, it's mine, and it's here to stay. I get curious, about other mediums, about how other artists and craftspeople work. I added polymer clay to the mix about 10 years ago just as magnets at the holiday craft shows, but in the last 3-4 years I have developed a style of polymer clay collage that fills a price point in my my art market, and generates some nice income, and it is fun to do. It is very different from my paintings, but somehow, when I show them together, they get along and complement one another.

Ok so far, a little crazy, but manageable. Now I've added surface design, which I LOVE. I have no idea if I can, change my career and go off into this commercial realm. I don't know if I can keep it all, but even as I type that I think everything I have created up to this point will just make me a more awesome surface designer...I've got so much experience...and if I focus my attention on this, I could really create some beauty in the world. Does the world need more beauty? Always.


No comments: